Port Computer Services (ADVANTUM), a subsidiary of the Shipping Association of Jamaica Property Limited, was established in 1981 to provide information technology infrastructure and systems support to the local port community and the wider Caribbean maritime sector. The company now trades under the brand .
Over the last twenty-nine years, the company has evolved to become the leading IT service provider to more than thirty (30) entities in the shipping industry and beyond.
Advantum focuses especially on systems development and maintenance, application hosting, hot site (backup) services, internet and network services. Advantum holds the distinction of being the pioneer in the computerization of the Port of Kingston, one of the Hemisphere’s premier and most strategically located transshipment ports.
Given its thrust, ADVANTUM has revolutionized its products and services to meet the needs of a broader clientele that resides outside of the shipping industry. As an industry leader, the company’s current offerings include:
- Suite of Solutions
- Advantum Port & Demurrage and Detention
- Advantum eLabour
- Advantum Warehouse Management
- Advantum Payroll
- Advantum Financials
- Application hosting on IBM AS400
- Application hosting on Windows Server
- Windows Server Management
- Network Management
- Microsoft Exchange Email Services
- Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains system reseller
- Microsoft Small Business Financials reseller
- Microsoft Volume License reseller
- Microsoft Office, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft SharePoint and Microsoft Windows Server
- Symantec Antivirus software reseller
- Westbrook Technologies - Fortis Document Management Solution
- Vantage Point - HRA Human Resource Management Information System
ADVANTUM can state unreservedly that we have one of the most advanced systems for the exchange of information in the Port of Kingston. Our well-equipped data centre is bolstered by dual off-site back up. ADVANTUM provides 99.99% system availability to our customers who operate in a 24x7 environment.
ADVANTUM has always aggressively pursued the acquisition and utilization of the industry’s leading technologies and this has resulted in the following achievements:
- Sourcing, implementation and hosting of the Cosmos Terminal Operation Software Suite for the Kingston Container TerminalApplication hosting for thirty companies
- Implementation of a 24x7x365 technical support infrastructure to support its customers operations
- Development and maintenance of Software Applications for twenty companies; including; accounting solutions, warehouse management, pension management and customer relationship management all under the brand.
- Development of e-manifest software to facilitate electronic data transfer for customers to meet the requirements of Customs Departments
- Implementation of a real-time (hot backup) facility that will allow customers to switch to a remote site in case of disasters
- Implementation of Industry-wide Internet Services
- Providing Network Installation and Administration Services
- AS400 Business Continuity Services
ADVANTUM has a culture of being creative, innovative, manifested through its technical staff, which consists of well-trained and experienced programmers/software engineers, AS400 operators, business & systems analysts, network administrators, project managers and Microsoft Dynamics GP consultants
Mrs. Andrea White, Chief Operating Officer and a Board manage Advantum. The Board is led by Mr. Roger Hinds (CEO, Transocean Shipping Limited), and includes Mr. Grantley Stephenson (CEO and Chairman, Kingston Wharves Limited), Mr. Harry Maragh (CEO and Chairman, Lannaman & Morris (Shipping) Limited), Mr. Michael Bernard (Director, Jamaica Freight & Shipping Co. Ltd), Mr. Kim Clarke (President, The Shipping Association of Jamaica and Managing Director of Maritime & Transport Services Limited), Mr. Evroy Johnson (Financial Controller, Caribstar Shipping Limited) and Mr. Trevor Riley (General Manager, The Shipping Association of Jamaica).